Tuesday, March 02, 2010

What is Stephen Harper Reading?

Photo of Stephen Harper I loved The Life of Pi (apparently, I'm not alone) - now several years in my rear-view mirror (though I think now I may read it again). But somehow I missed this intriguing effort by Pi's author, Yann Martel, to have a (humanizing?) effect on Canada's prime minister Stephen Harper. Notably, Yann's first submittal to the Right Honourable Stephen Harper was none other than Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Illych - a powerful and timeless classic from the great Russian novelist. Not only this, but Martel's accompanying letter to Harper is a fantastic observation and reflection on the book. In any case, I'm going to spend some time working through Martel's gifts to the Right Honourable PM and believe it will be time well spent.

No comments: