Sunday, June 10, 2007

On The Death Penalty

Alabama's  lethal injection chamber at Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Ala., is pictured in this Oct. 7, 2002 file photo. Anti-death penalty forces have gained momentum in the past few years, with a moratorium in Illinois, court disputes over lethal injection in more than a half-dozen states and progress toward outright abolishment in New Jersey. (AP Photo/Dave Martin, File)
I have been a lukewarm death-penalty supporter from high school until my early 30s.  But then my opinion began to change to the point that in recent years, I have become a lukewarm opponent. There's a lot moral ambiguity around both positions.

But this article presents some very interesting findings that add weight to the "pro-death penalty" side of the argument.  To quote:

""Science does really draw a conclusion. It did. There is no question about it," said Naci Mocan, an economics professor at the University of Colorado at Denver. "The conclusion is there is a deterrent effect.""

2 comments:

ericnlivingston said...

That is interesting. I'd say I'm behind a few years in my personal movement on the issue. I may be stuck somewhere in the realm of being lukewarmly neutral towards capital punishment.

Huh? Precisely. Just not sure where I stand on it.

I do know I just watched Kidman's "The Interpreter" movie and it really made me think about approaching this subject from the aspect of seeking justice. The movie describes how the Ku people reconcile justice and grief management. I'm still digesting this idea, but it definitely introduces a new sentiment for me in my personal struggle with the death penalty.

ericnlivingston said...

...behind you a few years...