Friday, June 15, 2007

More Hitchens

I previously posted about the commentary of Peter Hitchens on his atheistic brother, Christopher.  I've just finished listening to a 3 hour debate between prominent New Testament scholar [see his new book, here], Mark Roberts, and Christopher Hitchens moderated by Hugh Hewitt.  The debate dealt with Hitchens' new book, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.  I suggest picking up the podcasts, reading Hitchens' book, then review Dr. Roberts' commentary on the book.

Not surprisingly, as with Harris and Dawkins and the rest, Hitchens' hateful attack on all religions and religious people is based on the same old deflated arguments, innuendo, straw-manning, and question-begging.  Nothing new. 

But I have to say that Hitchens does make is a lot more entertaining that the rest of the lot!

2 comments:

Steve said...

Jeff,

I just now noticed your second comment on the June 11 entry to my blog where I mention William James' and his characteristic of being open to new experiences. You mention your changing jobs quite often, every 2 or 3 years, and say "I find it difficult to keep ploughing the same field after that period of time." Well I think there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that. It can be a good thing. Societal forces and business practices are making it a necessity also. I've been with the same company and basically the same job for almost 28 years, with a one year leave of absence, and I'm ready for something new. Change is good. My brother tens years younger also changes jobs every 2 or 3 years and so his wife.

Anonymous said...

Jeff..Preach on my psudo Brother!!!

Linda