Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Why Go To Church?

The more I've read, studied and, mostly, lived, the more I've come to question what the heck we're doing every Sunday morning.  Why are we there?  I've long since left behind the legalistic ideas of obedience and submission and, to be honest, have mostly left behind much of the promised experiential expectations as well.  So why keep doing it?  What is the point?

In my last post, I commented on a blog post where the writer was basically saying we shouldn't be gathering on Sunday - that there is no place for the church community.  My comments were somewhat critical in that I believe the writer had made some broad assumptions and overstatements about various biblical texts and anthropological theories. I stand by my comments and the associated positions.  But that isn't to say there isn't a lot to be thought through, revisited and recast about what we are doing and why in terms of our congregational assemblies.

This article is an interesting start on reflecting on why we gather and what is and can be accomplished.  The perspective is fresh and insightful and I believe is accurate in depiction of most evangelical assemblies - even the "progressive, missional" ones.

So where do we go?  What is the point?

No comments: