Thursday, January 18, 2007

My First Computer

Sinclair ZX81

Sinclair ZX81
It just occured to me that I got my first computer, the Sinclair ZX81, 25 years ago this year!  It was a fantastic little computer with every bit of 1KB (yes, KB not MB or GB!!) of RAM.  Though, big spender I, soon increased my investment beyond the $100 purchase price of the computer to add the 16KB RAM pack plug-in.

From the Sinclair ZX81 (or, alternately, the Timex Sinclair 1000), I subsequently (1 year) upgraded to the Commodore VIC20 (with 5KB of RAM!!), then (2 years later) to the Commodore 64 (unbelievably, still the best-selling personal computer of all time!).

My how the time has flown by!

8 comments:

greg said...

Wow, me too. I also had a TI-99/4A. (A guy I work with has a TI-99/4A over here in a box.)

Dan Sanders said...

Wow. MTV wasn't even a year old. Duran Duran hadn't even hit the Billboard US Top Ten yet. The Falklands. EPCOT opens. Time Magazine names its Man of the Year: the Computer.

And we became sophomores in high school.

CJR said...

Hard to believe it's been a quarter of a century ago, eh?

Don't forget about The CB Shack - and Bald Eagle. In my mind's eye, I still see him beside the railroad track, fist raised in defiance of the train's offending whistle!

Len said...

25 years!!! Have you been to any NLR OM class reunions? I haven't been able to make any. My folks left NLR for Pocahontas when he retired from the church so I don't get there very often.

CJR said...

Len - Haven't been back in ages - and have never made it to a class reunion. Maybe the 25th in 2010?

len said...

I would like to have a "mini-reunion" of our old gang. Don't know if it would be feasible, but it would be fun. Would you happen to have a way to contact Brad Russell?

CJR said...

At one point, Brad had a ministry website set up - http://www.bradrussell.org/ - and he can be contacted through that site or via email - mailto:brad@bradrussell.org.

I haven't contacted him prior to this, but did just send a "hello" message.

I'm planning on being Nashville the last week in April for the Country Music Marathon.

CJR said...

Len - By the way, I don't have an email address for you, either. Shoot an email to me at jeff_richardson@hotmail.com. BTW, I tried Brad's email address and for some reason it's not working, though the website appears to be recently maintained.