Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bid Me Run

"Bid me run and I will strive with things impossible."

Get outside. Watch the clouds. Feel your heart pounding. Glory in the sweat flowing like a river and pooling in your shoes.

Critical: Don't wait until you pass your daily energy peak to plan your run!

Like you, I'm a mid-afternoon runner - I literal start squirming around lunch time to get outside. I wish I were a morning runner (Trisha is), but I'm not and lack the discipline to do things I really don't like. But if I keep putting off my daily run past, say, 6pm, I'm on the downside of my energy peak and often find I can't get motivated to leave the house once I'm home with the girls.

I pack a gym bag with me to the office, break away by 4pm, put in my miles, shower and change and either go back to the office (if there's more to do) or go home by 5:30 to spend the rest of the evening with Trish, Molly and Macy.

Schedule your runs - put them on your calendar - give yourself time.

You can do it!

2 comments:

len said...

Jeff, how did you get started into running? What would you recommend to an old high school buddy who is in relatively good shape, but has high cholestoral and wants to hit 40 going strong?

CJR said...

Len -

As you know from first-hand experience, I am no athlete!

Trish got in to running about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it - and tried to encourage me, to no avail.

I didn't have a weight or cholesterol or blood pressure issue (thanks to good genes, certainly not good habits!), so I didn't really see the point.

For some reason, though, in February of 2001, while I was speaking at a college Christian group retreat in Arkansas, I went out for jog. Which was really more walking than jogging, as I couldn't run very far!

And it stuck.

I eased into it, keeping careful track of my progress. As I'm sure is no surprise to those who know me, I have a monster spreadsheet logging every mile I've run - along with weight, heartrate, weather conditions and the shoes I was wearing at the time!

It just seemed to click with me - it required no athletic ability or skill, provided a great way to enjoy nature (I pretty much avoid indoor running and treadmills like the plague and only use them if I have no options for getting outside).

I went to a Fleet Feet store and had them do a "gait analysis" (basically just watching you run on a treadmill) to determine what type (neutral, stability, or motion control) shoes would help me most, bought a decent pair and started out using some guidance from Runner's World in terms of training programs and how to "ramp up" my mileage.

I've run a half dozen or so 5Ks, a 10K, a 5-mile race, 2 half-marathons and a marathon. I'm not really in to racing - just enough to give me a goal and drive my training. I'm a slow runner - 7 min/mile for the 5k, 8 min/mile for the half marathon - and over 10 min/mile for the only marathon I've run - though I'm hoping to improve that later this year.

Find a great place to run in your area, choose the best time of day for you and make it a ritual!

To get precise measures of how far you're running, hop over to GMap Pedometer. After I found this site, I even stopped wearing my Ironman watch/GPS unit!

The most critical step is the one out the front door. Once you've done that (and can manage to keep doing it), the rest is downhill!