Wednesday, July 19, 2006

...And I will strive with things impossible!

I put some background information on running in a comment to my previous post, but I thought it might be useful to make it into a post of its own:

As those who know me know, I am no athlete!

Trish got in to running about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it - and tried to encourage me, to no avail.

I didn't have a weight or cholesterol or blood pressure issue (thanks to good genes, certainly not good habits!), so I didn't really see the point.

For some reason, though, in February of 2001, while I was speaking at a college Christian group retreat in Arkansas, I went out for jog. Which was really more walking than jogging, as I couldn't run very far!

And it stuck.

I eased into it, keeping careful track of my progress. As I'm sure is no surprise to those who know me, I have a monster spreadsheet logging every mile I've run - along with weight, heartrate, weather conditions and the shoes I was wearing at the time!

It just seemed to click with me - it required no athletic ability or skill, provided a great way to enjoy nature (I pretty much avoid indoor running and treadmills like the plague and only use them if I have no options for getting outside).

I went to a Fleet Feet store and had them do a "gait analysis" (basically just watching you run on a treadmill) to determine what type (neutral, stability, or motion control) shoes would help me most, bought a decent pair. I've run in Adidas, New Balance, Asics and Mizuno. I alternate shoes between runs and don't run in shoes after they've gotten 400 miles on them. I started out using some guidance from Runner's World in terms of training programs and how to "ramp up" my mileage.

I've run a half dozen or so 5Ks, a 10K, a 5-mile race, 2 half-marathons (Little Rock - actually a two-man marathon relay and Nashville) and a marathon (Rock N Roll in San Diego). I'm not really in to racing - just enough to give me a goal and drive my training. I'm a slow runner - 7 min/mile for the 5k, 8 min/mile for the half marathon - and over 10 min/mile for the only marathon I've run - though I'm hoping to improve that later this year.

Find a great place to run in your area, choose the best time of day for you and make it a ritual!

To get precise measures of how far you're running, hop over to GMap Pedometer. After I found this site, I even stopped wearing my Ironman watch/GPS unit!

The most critical step is the one out the front door. Once you've done that (and can manage to keep doing it), the rest is downhill!

1 comment:

scott said...

It was the couch to 5k running plan that did it for me. From inactive to 3 miles in 8 weeks. Couldn't beat it.