Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My Getting Things Done Process & Tools

Tools
 
Dell Latitude Notebook PC (office)
Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Office Suite w/Visio, Project, Access, Frontpage
SyncBack
Internet Explorer
Dell Inspiron Notebook PC (home)
Windows XP Home
Microsoft Office Suite w/Money, Frontpage
SyncBack
Firefox
Audible
ITunes (<v.6.0)
JHymn
Cingular 8125 (cell/mobile)
Windows Mobile 5
Good Technology mobile suite
PocketClock
MemMaid
Total Commander
PocketPlayer
Audible
Seagate 40GB Extneral HDD (USB-powered)
Full backup of my office PC documents & Outlook PSTs
Full backup of my home PC documents
Full backup of my home PC iTunes directory
No-install OpenOffice Suite
No-install Thunderbird
No-install Sunbird
 
Information
 
Tasks
 
Microsoft Outlook
Using contexts - @phone, @shop, @house, @office, @pc
Using projects (categories)
Using due dates
Using priorities (H=Next/M=This Week/L=Whenever)
Synchronized to 8125 via GoodLink
Calendar
 
Microsoft Outlook
All appointments with extensive notes/attachments
Synchronized to 8125 via GoodLink
Contacts
 
Microsoft Outlook
All contacts with extensive notes/attachments/pictures
Synchronized to 8125 via GoodLink
Notes
 
Gmail
Using labels to sort notes by type
Synchronized to 8125 via Gmail POP3 account
Email
 
Business
Microsoft Exchange
Business email with Outlook client
Synchronized to 8125 via GoodLink
Personal
GMAIL
Personal email w/browser
Synchronized to 8125 via Gmail POP3 account
HOTMAIL
Personal email w/browser
Synchronized to 8125 via HTTP account
 
Process
 
Weekly review
Spend 30 minutes each Monday morning reviewing appointments and tasks for the week rearranging as needed
 
Daily review
Spend 15 mintues at the end of each day reviewing tasks completed as planned, tasks cancelled, tasks deferred, emergent tasks completed, emergent tasks scheduled
 
Capture
8125 is primary capture tool when away from office - add task directly, capture written or voice note/memo, or email myself
Outlook tasks or Gmail are primary capture tools when at desk/PC
 
Backup/Portability
8125 is totally portable and has essentially all my GTD information including a pretty extensive set of reference information constantly at my finger tips; with the 8125, I can reduce the percentage of my "out of office" time where I require my laptop or access to a PC from 70% to 40%
Using SyncBack and the Seagate HDD, I backup both my office PC documents & Outlook PST files and my home PC documents and music files and have these available everywhere
On the Seagate HDD, I have an entire suite of launch-able applications that don't require installation so I can access essentially all of my data files from any PC with a USB port

No comments: