Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year

Earth Your Dancing Place

Beneath heaven's vault
remember always walking
through halls of cloud
down aisles of sunlight
or through high hedges
of the green rain
walk in the world
highheeled with swirl of cape
hand at the swordhilt
of your pride
 
Keep a tall throat
 
Remain aghast at life
 
Enter each day
as upon a stage
lighted and waiting
for your step
 
Crave upward as flame
have keenness in the nostril
 
Give your eyes
to agony or rapture
 
Train your hands
as birds to be
brooding or nimble
 
Move your body
as the horses
sweeping on slender hooves
over crag and prairie
with fleeing manes
and aloofness of their limbs
 
Take earth for your own large room
and the floor of earth
carpeted with sunlight
and hung round with silver wind
for your dancing place.
 
by May Swenson
 
 

Today, I want to cherish God.

I want to stand on my tip-toes and see what he has done in this world. The beauty of today's sunrise. I want to feel the crisp cold air outside and be reminded that God created all of this. I want to cherish him above everything else today.

Today, I want to leave my world just a little better than it was this morning.

I can smile at the lady at Chick-Fil-A. I can make faces at a small child. I can encourage the person who I will be having lunch with. I can call my daughters and say, "I love you." I can be tender with my wife.

Today, I want to respond well to the unexpected.

Will someone inconvenience me today? Will someone "get in my way"? Will someone act aloof, cool, etc.? Today, I want to respond well to what I don't like.

Today, I want to take care of what God has given me.

I want to take care of my soul, making sure I pray and read the word of God, today. I want to take care of my body. I can exercise today and feel good afterward.

Today, I want to slow down enough to live.

I don't want to miss the moment because I am always racing ahead to the next moment. I want to experience what is and trust that the Lord is at work in each moment of the day.

Adapted from Jim Martin's post.

1 comment:

scott said...

That's great Jeff. Mind if I run it in our bulletin? With attribution of course.