Friday, December 31, 2004

Horrendous Evil & The Goodness of God - Part II

From Jason Clark's Blog:

Where were you God?

Where were you when the ocean broke the shore?
I was playing on the beach.
Fishing in my boat.
Eating breakfast with my family.

Where were you when the sea sucked lives away?
I was holding on tight until I couldn't.
Afraid and running.
Caught in the swirling chaos.

Where were you when all those people died?
I was struggling to breathe.
Letting go.
Counting the lights entering eternity.

Where were you when the waters receded?
I was standing on the shore.
Weeping with grief.
Aching to hold my lost people.

Where were you in the days that followed?
I was searching and hoping.
Burying the dead.
Seeking shelter, food and comfort.

Where are you now God, where are you now?
I am where you are.
Always.

Rev Jennie Gordon
Preston Parish UCA, Vic.



Also, a comment to my Horrendous Evil and the Goodness of God post at Jason Clark's Blog followed by my reply:

Where is God? God is where He always has been. He has never moved, never left us. He sits on the throne in Heaven. He lives in the lives of His people.

To Jeff Richardson - My friend, I would encourage you to read the book of Matthew, Chapter 24. I hope you will find that there is not much time left.

Posted by: Kevin Ross | December 31, 2004 02:30 PM

Thanks for the thought, Kevin. Not sure what you meant by it, but I'm sure it's well-intentioned. Whatever you got (or didn't get) from my earlier comments, you managed to come away, apparently thinking I don't have faith. This isn't true. I have a faith that allows me to ask difficult questions and seek answers to the things life confronts me with. I don't believe God desires the faith of zealots and fanatics, but of people who will come to him for solice and healing and answers.

Ultimately, I have to rely on my faith when answers aren't forthcoming - as they are not in the case of the horrific tragedy in Southeast Asia. I recoil at the pat Sunday School answers, however, and have to put these kind of events in the "makes no sense to me but if I believe God to be all-good and all-powerful, it must make sense to Him" category.

Also, I don't want to get into a debate on prophecy, but I believe it's pretty naive to read Matthew 24 into the events in Southeast Asia.

Posted by: Jeff Richardson | December 31, 2004 08:26 PM

No comments: